[ Archives][ Contact Information][ Events][ Biographies][ History][ Links][ Members][ Photographs][ Research Material][ Reunions][ Queries][ Volunteers]
Family Histories can be found in the  Archives

Since I have not received Family Histories for the page I am planning to change this page to cover individual biographies. The biographies should be of indiviuals such as:   yourself, father, mother, grandfather, grandmother or any individual/individuals in your family. Will try to see if there is anyone out there that would like to memorialize a member of their family.

  Robert Grady,    Margaret Curry    Ethel Nielsen    Dick Wilt    George Sigley

by Reberta Cook

      Robert William Grady was born December 23, 1913 in Clarksburg, Harrison Co., WV to William Lincoln Grady and Margaret Smallwood. William Lincoln Grady was born February 17, 1884 in Buckhannon, Upshur Co., WV and died August 1, 1965 in Clarksburg, Harrison Co., WV. Margaret Smallwood was born November 5, 1872 in Limestone, Harrison Co., WV and died July 22, 1939 in Clarksburg, Harrison Co., WV. William and Margaret were married October 2, 1909 in Clarksburg, Harrison Co., WV. B s grandfather was Joseph Dennis Grady, born about 1859 in Ritchie Co., WV and died between 1894-1900 in Canoe Run, WV. Joseph was married to Sarah Jane Winemiller, born August 17, 1856 in Upshur Co., WV and died January 21, 1940 In Harrison Co., WV. Joseog and Sarah were married February 7, 1882 in Lewis Co., WV.

      Robert was reared with two siblings. Mary Virginia Grady was born in 1911, Clarksburg, WV, and died 1920 in Clarksburg from a tonsilectomy. He had a half-sister Helen Louise Smallwood born March 2, 1895 in Clarksburg, and died May 19, 1982 in Clarksburg.

      Robert married Mary Louise Aills December 1, 1939 in Portsmouth, Scioto Co., Ohio. They met through a friend of Mary Louise s from high school. They courted for a few years from West Virginia to Ohio. After their marriage, they boarded a train to Clarksburg where they lived on Jasper St. until World War II broke out. Robert was working for the Workingman s Clothing Store in Clarksburg. The employees of the store were decorating the windows for Christmas the day the war began. He immediately left the store and returned to Mary Louise. Robert told her I know I will go but I do not want to leave you. I am in the WV militia so it will not be long .

      At this point, Robert decided to move Mary back to Portsmouth, Ohio, to be with her family when he was drafted. He went to work for Kobackers Department Store, in Portsmouth, in the men s department until he received his draft papers.

      Roberta Louise Grady was born to Robert and Mary on December 17, 1943. Robert was in basic training at the time at Ft. McClellan, Alabama. He returned home April 1944 for a short leave. This is the first and last time he would ever see his wife and daughter as a family. After being shipped to California before going to the Philippines, he was assigned to the 169th infantry, Co. D, 43rd Division, U.S. Army as a machine gunner, ammo bearer. He wrote home to Mary s parents that this was the most dangerous assignment he could ve drawn. He was killed April 8, 1945 when a Japanese soldier threw a hand grenade hitting the foxhole while he was guarding a bridge on Gaya-Gaya, Luzon, Philippine Islands. Mary was not notified until April 27, 1945 of his death by a Western Union Telegram. During this time, she wrote him every day. The letters were returned to her later with this note on each one Deceased, Return to Sender. When Mary died in 1997, these unopened letters were found. All will remain unopened for eternity. However, there were letters returned to her that were opened and has given insight to his love of his family and country. After his death, he was awarded the Purple Heart, Bronze Star, and the Combat Infantry Badge medals. Robert s personal items that were returned to Mary and the medals are on permanent display at Motts Military Museum in Groveport, Ohio. His ultimate sacrifice will never be forgotten.

      One letter returned was asking his father-in-law to please keep his wedding band as he was returning it to him for safe keeping, not Mary as it would upset her too much. Robert never got to mail it before he was killed. The wedding band was return in his things and his son-in-law, Gerald R. Cook, now wears the band and will go to the grave as per the wishes of Mary.

      Another letter was to his daughter. This letter ask his daughter, Roberta, to please take care of Mommy. Mommy has been a real trooper through all of this but please take care of her. Darling, daughter, please do not let the floor come up and hit you too many times while learning to walk. Daddy is sorry to miss your first birthday and Christmas but Daddy is doing a very important job. I will be home before long as this war cannot last much longer.

      Robert was buried in the USAF Cemetery Manila No. 2, Plot 1, Row 1, Grave 30 until his body was returned to the United States July 9, 1948. His remains now lie at the Memorial Burial Park in Wheelersburg, Scioto Co., Ohio with his wife, Mary Louise Grady. She never remarried as this was the love of her life.

World War II Memorials

Return to Main Page

Biography of a Centenarian

Sarah Margaret (Losh) Curry

June 14, 1832 - July 30, 1933



       Descendants of Mrs. Sarah Margaret Curry are planning to assemble Tuesday at the home of her son-in-law, E. French Whiting, on Big Issac's creek, Miletus, Route 1, Doddridge County, to celebrate the century mark of her life. Click_larger_picture

       Mrs. Curry was born in Dayton, Rockingham County, Va. June 14, 1832. She is doubtless the oldest resident of Doddridge County. Many years ago the aged woman lived in that county, her home then being near Avon, a few miles west of her present abode. She has resided at various places since that time, and a part of the time at Reynoldsville, this county, until she moved last November with the Whiting family to Big Isaac s creek.

       Spread of scientific health knowledge is said to be prolonging the span of human life, but there are many aged persons of today who never knew any such knowledge and, of course, never applied its principles beyond those of simple rules of living correctly. Doddridge county's only centenarian appears to have conformed her habits to nature's plan of living-earning one's living by sweat of the brow and leading a clean, wholesome life.


       Even then this aged woman is the more remarkable in that she underwent many hardships and much exposure in the course of her long life and especially in her earlier years. In addition to these, she was the mother of eleven children, and as such the burden of many cares fell upon her shoulders. And long after her family had been reared, a widowhood of more than twenty-five years began.

       Besides the death of her husband and some of her several brothers and sisters, some of her own sons and daughters passed on, adding to her sorrows. Through all her many trials and tribulations, she appears to have been of a philosophical turn and accepted them as essential parts of life. Possessing indomitable courage and fortitudinous resignation, she passed onward with unwavering faith in the belief that what was and is should have been and should be and accepted her lot in life without complaint or discontent.

       It is fitting she would live to round out 100 years, as a brief survey of her life leads one to no other conclusion. It is regrettable, however, that she is not blessed with full retention of mind and does not, therefore, possibly fully realize the nobility of her long life so splendidly run and cannot comprehend the significance or the gathering in her honor other that to mark the hundredth year of her life. And, yet, after all, she gives evidence of lucidity of mind at times, which convinces one without much stretch of imagination that she does, in truth, appreciate happenings and surroundings more keenly than casual observer implies.


       A member of a large family, Mrs. Curry was the eldest, and there are several of her brothers who have lived to be advanced in years. She was a daughter of David and Elizabeth Smallwood Losh. Her paternal grandfather, Daniel Losh, came to America at an early date from Germany, the land of his nativity. He was married to Elizabeth Jackson and they located in Rockingham County, Virginia. A brother of Daniel Losh, named Stephen Losh, later located in Randolph County, Virginia, now West Virginia.

       Other children of Daniel and Elizabeth Losh besides Mrs. Curry's father were Andrew Losh, who lived and died in Rockingham County; William Losh, who married a woman named Kephert and lived and died in Lewis County, this state; Joseph Losh, who remained single and died near Avon, Doddridge

       County; and Marian Losh, who married a man named Shaffer and lived and died near Avon. The sons and daughters of David and Elizabeth Smallwood are mostly unavailable, as the family Bible record was lost at an early date and Mrs. Curry does not remember them; Sarah Margaret, who married James Harvey Curry, of Rockingham County, Virginia, came with him and their two small children to Taylor County, and now lives on route 1, Miletus, W.Va.


       Samuel Losh, of Webster near Grafton, who was married to Elizabeth Hinkle, Fannie Losh, who married Abraham Sandy and lived and died in Gilmer County. Catherine, unmarried, died in Gilmer County. Abraham Losh, who was married to Amanda Tom, and lived in Braxton County. David Losh, unmarried, who lived and died in Lewis County. Robert Losh, who lived and died at Richwood. Jackson Brown Losh, born January 27, 1851, now past 81, who was married to Leah Lorentz, a daughter of Ransom and Elizabeth Stutler Lorentz, and lives near West Milford on route 1, Lost Creek, where he is a returned farmer. Alexander Losh, 70, formerly of Braxton County but now living at Midway, south of Good Hope, who was married to Queen Wayne, now deceased. Harvey Losh, resident of Webster Springs, whose wife is deceased. Members of Mrs. Curry's family refer to the tradition that her grand mother, Mrs. Elizabeth Jackson Losh, wife of Daniel Losh, was related to the Jackson family from which "Stonewall" Jackson famous Confederate general, descended; but they have no family tree tracings to establish the claim, John Jackson, first of the family of "Stonewall" Jackson of whom there is any record, came to America in 1718 at the age of 20 years. Others of the same family settled in New Jersey and later located in western Virginia. Still another line settled in the South and produced Andrew Jackson of Tennessee, who became president. There is more than a possibility that some of these Jacksons located in the Rockingham county section and were the progenitors of Mrs. Elizabeth Jackson Losh, parental grandmother of Mrs. Curry, thus establishing kinship between her and the Confederate warrior.


       In discussing her ancestry, Mrs. Curry says her maternal Grandfather Jackson was buried at sea on the way from Ireland to America and her grand mother came on alone and settled in Virginia. She is unable to identify them with other families by that name.

       Mrs. Curry's marriage to James Harvey Curry was solemnized before the outbreak of the Civil war in 1861. She does not have the date, as family records were lost. He enlisted in the southern army when the war began and served three years and a half. He participated in some of the bloodiest battles of the conflict, including the Bull Run engagements, the Gettysburg battle and a number of others. At one time he was in Gen. "Stonewall" Jackson's army in the Shenandoah Valley and around Martinsburg, this state.

       Hit by a piece of a bomb in battle, he was rendered speechless but continued to serve in the army six month, although he could not talk, and finally he was relieved of duty on account of his affliction, being honorably discharged a few months before the end of the war. The shell left an injury above one of his knees which made him a cripple for life, but he recovered his speech in time. his recollections of the war and the experiences related by him in after years proved of interest and instruction to his children, who take pride in the fact that he was a soldier and he was willing to make the supreme sacrifice for his home and what he believed to be right.

       Although his crippled condition gave him more or less concern and proved somewhat of a handicap in life, Curry lived to the ripe old age of 84 years, 6 months and 17 days and died in August, 1907. He was buried in a cemetery at DeKalb, Gilmer County, where he passed on. He was born in 1822 in Rockingham County.


       After his honorable discharge from the army, Curry came across the Allegheny Mountains to Grafton, where members of the Losh family had settled, and after he had become located there he sent word back to his family to join him.

       Along with her father and two small children, Anna and Robert Curry, the latter a babe of four weeks, Mrs. Curry began a long wearisome and adventurous Journey across the mountains from the valley of Virginia to Grafton, braving the storms of late fall in 1864 and the hardships of outdoor life in the wild and mountainous country, through which they passed. The older child was not more than two and one-half years of age.

       Using packhorses, they brought their few belongings and sometimes rode the animals, she recalls. Much of the time all were afoot except the two children who were securely tied on the horses' backs.

       Speaking of the trip Mrs. Curry told the writer three years ago that the party was four weeks on the way in early winter, adding: "We arrived at Grafton Christmas day. On the way across the mountains, the weather was cold and sometimes rain or snow fell, but we did not mind it so very much. We slept at night wherever we happened to be - along the ravine or on top of the mountain peak, but usually near some house. We were mighty glad when the Journey ended and had Joined relatives at Grafton.


       Among her more thrilling experiences in travel across the mountains on the trip to Grafton, Mrs. Curry recalls her fall down a steep embankment as she walked alongside the mountain road. She almost rolled into a creek where the water was deep enough to drown her. She was pulled up the mountain side to the road by means of a long pole. Great risk was also run in crossing some of the streams on the way at flood states, she says. It was on this trip that the family Bible was lost, and later another one was destroyed in a fire which burned the home.

       James Harvey Curry was a handy man, as he was a genius in more than one way, being an expert shingle maker, shoemaker and carpenter as well as a good farmer. He made some clever cabinet creations.

       After the family had lived a year or two at or near Grafton, it moved to Kincheloe creek, this county, and remained there a few years.

       The Currys then moved to Freemansburg, Lewis county, later to Murphy's creek near Weston, then to near Avon in Doddridge county and finally to Paddy's run near DeKalb, Gilmer county, where Curry died. Since the death of her husband in 1907, Mrs. Curry has lived at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Nora Whiting, wife of E. French Whiting, former coal miner at Reynoldsville, this county, but now farming on Big Isaac s creek, one mile south of the village of big Isaac Just west of the Harrison, Doddridge county line and two miles south of Miletus. Eleven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Curry, of whom six are living.
They were born in the following order:


  • Anna, born in 1861, in Rockingham County, Virginia, and married John Beachler. She died in 1922 at West Milford. He was married again. His second wife died at west Milford a year ago. Anna was the little girl who came across the mountains when the family settled in this state sixty-seven years ago. Her children are William Beachler, Mary who married Harvey Pratt, Thomas Beachler and Warder Beachler.

  • Robert, born September 25, 186&, in Rockingham county, Virginia, and was married to Ruth Bredon. Their children are Ora, Gail who died in training camp, Guy and Gladys Curry. Robert was the infant in arms when the Curry family came to West Virginia. he died last year.

  • Icie Curry, who died young.

  • Rosa, who was born in 1866. She married David Rexroad. They live at Hardman. Their children are Zella, who married Dorsey Stalnaker and lived in Morgantown; Delbert Rexroad, of Morgantown; Ethel, who married O. A. Collins. Archie and Opal. Their third-born died in infancy.


           William Curry, born in 1868, who was married to Emma Weese. They live at Tioga. Their children are Genevieve who married a Blankenship, Maurice, Ross, James and Victor. They also have a deceased child.

           Della, born in 1872, married Franklin Norris, now dead, and lives at Hardman. Their children are Marie and Gladys. The latter is deceased. Mary Ella, born September 23, 1870, at Freemansburg, married John Wesley Stutler, of Jane Lew, December 5, 1895. They live on Fowler Avenue, Eastview, and have no children. He is a retired carpenter. Ephraim Curry, born in 1874, died on Murphy's creek near Weston at the age of 18 years. Soshia married Joseph Montgomery and died more than twenty years ago in Clarksburg. He later was remarried and lives here. They were the parents of a daughter, Ona A., who married Alfred Simmons. Jedediah Curry died young. Nora, born December 22, 1858, married October 6, 1907, French Whiting, a son of Stewart and Mary Davis Whiting. He was born March 2, 1885, in Gilmer County, and is farming on Big Isaac s creek, on route 1, Miletus, Doddridge County. The Whiting children are Mildred Virginia born February 22, 1909, and died September 8, 1910; Floy Kathleen, born February 15, 1911, married Elmer Rigsby, June 14, 1928, the latter being born February 7, 1907; James Almond, born August 4, 1916; Raymond, born October 3, 1918, and Flo Marguerite, born May 20, 1921. The Rigsbys have two children, Mary Edith, born July 3, 1929; and Elmer Leroy, born December 27, 1930. These are the only two great-grandchildren of the aged woman. There are twenty-one living grandchildren and several dead.


           Mrs. Curry received little education. There were so many members of the family that she the eldest child had to stay at home and take care of the others. She did not attend school long enough to read and write, and she never learned afterwards. In early life she Joined the Baptist church, that being the church of her father and mother, she says. She does not attend church now because of her mental and physical condition, particularly because of deafness. It is needless to say her political sympathies were with the South in war and she has always adhered to the Democratic creed but never has voted. She declares that she does not meddle with politics and has always declined invitations of transportation to the polls. She does not think politics should be a part of the life of women as they have plenty to do to look after their household and rear the children. Her daughters and grand daughters do not emulate her political example as some of them vote, whenever they have an opportunity, and not Republican as she is vehemently democratic.


           Notwithstanding her feebleness as the result of old age, Mrs. Curry makes her own bed, and does very light chores about the house. Until two years ago, when she had a serious spell of illness, she helped quite a good deal in the housework, and her mind was then much stronger. She does not see very well as she has outgrown glasses and no longer uses them. As she never learned to read, she is not called upon to use her eyes as much as those who do read. Her hearing is fairly good.

           For one of such an extreme age, her general health is all any one could expect. Scarcely a day passes she does not eat some meat. Her menu, how ever, consists largely of fruits, potatoes, bread, Jellies and other sweets. She retains most of her lower teeth and some of the upper and can chew her food satisfactorily.

           Discussing her sleeping hours, Mrs. Whiting remarked the "Mother goes to bed Just whenever we make her. She would sit up all night, if we would let her. She usually retires about 9 o'clock at night and is up at the break of day. She seldom lies down during the day but sleeps sitting in a chair."


           The aged woman sometimes walks in the yard around the Whiting home and occupies her time preparing firewood as she thinks. She does not always use a cane, and gets around quite well under the circumstances.

           Well preserved in body, Mrs. Curry actually does not look to be 100 years old. While her hair is snowy white, she retains a full suite and knots it in the old style. She has black eyes and her hair once harmonized with them. It is remarkable that her heavy eyebrows retain their ebony and are in striking contrast to her head of hair.

           Nearly three years ago, Mrs. Curry said, when asked if she desired to live to be 100 years old, "Just as the Almighty thinks about that. If He wishes me to stay until then, I shall be glad to do so.

           Now that her reliance on the wish of the Lord, as she termed it then, has been fulfilled, the aged woman is ready to comply with whatever her Creator demands of her, even death that she may live again not the toilsome, uncertain life of mortals but that of immortals for eternity. She has lived far beyond the allotted time of man, and there is little left upon the earth that might prove of benefit of pleasure to her, and she thinks it well that she may glide easily and quietly into that other world, where there is no sorrow, no pain, although to break the ties which have bound her so closely all these years to her children, grandchildren and friends is to cause pangs of sadness for the time being.

           Truly, this fine old woman who demonstrated what it is in life to be pure and noble can well say, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith."

    Sarah Margaret Curry died July 30, 1933 at the age of 101 years 1 month and 16 days and is buried in the Walnut Grove Cemetery located in Gilmer County, West Virginia.

    Main Page

  • Ethel (Hammond) Nielsen

    by Ethel Nielsen

           I am E. Ethel (Hammond) Nielsen, married 62 years, born in East View, Clarksburg, WVa. Attended various schools; grades 1 and 2 at East View; grade 3 in Rochester, N.Y. and grades 4-7 in Baltimore, Maryland. Then, we moved back to W.Va. and I graduated from R.W. in 1936. My parents separated in 1929. My father never remarried and my mother sent me a letter in California announcing she had been married to my Dad for 15 years, divorced 15 years, so she had just married Sanky Treadway. My parents are buried side by side in Sunset Memorial Park, my Mother s choice.

           When I was in the 10th grade the depression was in full swing and I needed a job. I went to town and tried all of the stores asking for work. Then, I accidentally got what I thought was a terrific break! Going home on the street car, I sat with a friend who lived at Stop 10. I lived at Stop 9. I talked to her about my unfortunate experience in finding a job. She sympathized with me and said: "I quit my job today, why don't you come home with me and I will give you my uniform and you can go to work tomorrow in my place" I was thrilled! Her uniform consisted of a white head band and a white dress with a small white apron. I reported for work the next morning at 6 a.m. at the 6th Street Cafe. I remember there was a meat market on the corner of 6th & Pike called Tony's Meat Market and there was a passageway connecting the meat market with the restaurant. An employee called Jimmy drove Tony s truck and took care of buying cattle in Bridgeport for the meat market. The Cook was called Arney . I worked all day and was then fired for lack of experience! It must have been a hectic day for the Cook as well as the customers since I had never used a cash register and had to be told what a "set-up" meant. They must have paid me, I don't remember. There was only one waitress,me!.

           However, the next day "Jimmy" found our house in East View to deliver a message. "Tony" had sent him to pick me up to return to work. I put on my uniform and worked every evening thereafter all through high school. During the slack hours, I was always able to finish my shorthand homework. After high school, I left Clarksburg to go to Baltimore to live with my Aunt and Uncle Russell Hammond. After working at The White Coffee Pot for a couple of years, I got a Clerical job with Montgomery Ward. That job didn't last too long because I frequently would go off bonus pay so I could learn the job my boss was doing. When he was transferred to Chicago, naturally, I expected to replace him!. When I applied for his job, the boss laughed at me and said it was impossible for a woman to handle that job. He hired a young man and expected me to teach him. No way was that going to happen!. I resigned. My next job was not much better. It was a clerical job at Fort Belvoir, Maryland. Because I am an efficient person, I soon had my desk so well organized I had nothing to do for part of each day. I wanted a couple of days off to go home to West Virginia for a visit. The officer in charge said NO. I had previously arranged the use of a borrowed car, so I decided to take the time off anyhow since there was nothing to do. When I returned, the officer said I had to work 2 weeks without pay. No way do I work without pay! So, I resigned that job too.

           My next job was with TWA and at that interview he laughed and laughed when I told him why I had quit my previous job! He hired me, assigned me to the TWA Dispatch Office, located at the Washington National Airport. It was an exciting job. They sent me to climate classes, put me in charge of the link trainer for new pilots, taught me how to prepare all the flight kits for each departure, as well as how to handle the machine that sent messages about each TWA flight all over the USA.

           It was the TWA free flight, earned after one year, that took me to the West Coast, where I still live.. Instead of using the free return flight, I sent a telegram resigning the most interesting and exciting job I ever had.

           My next major job was Hostess and Manager of Service Club #3, North Fort Lewis, Washington. The day the war ended, the Service Club and all other Exchange employees happened to be on a yearly picnic at Spanaway Park. What a day!

           I had hired T-5 Jack Nielsen (my future husband) at the Club as an evening fry cook. After his discharge, we were married in Modesto, California in 1946. Jack returned to his designer job at the Fluor Corporation in East Los Angeles. I also worked at Fluor for eight years before resigning to attend school full time. I was secretary to Robert Fluor (who happened to start his career at Fluor about the same time I was hired) for approximately one year. Since his grandfather had started the Company, Bob was just out of the service and was being trained to eventually become President of Fluor..

           Jack and I both attended night schools as well as full time schools, to earn teaching degrees. After all we had to keep up with our adopted daughter Joyce who had been hired in the Business Department of the Montebello School district. We were in envy of her summer vacation freedom! So, it became important for us to both get our teaching credentials. Joyce was adopted after my sister Bonnie (1916-1947)died. Joyce gave us 3 wonderful grandchildren and they have given us 3 great grandchildren. Joyce married James Moyer in 1960 and we were so lucky to have them willing to share their children with us, especially on weekends when we could take them to our mountain cabin.

           Jack graduated from Chouinard Art Institute with a masters degree and by 1961 he also had his teaching credentials. In 1961 he retired from Fluor and was hired by the Alhambra School District as an Art Instructor.

           In 1958, I was hired by the Los Angeles City School District as a Business Teacher. After earning my master s degree in 1963, I decided that was enough schooling! For many years, I worked half time in the business department and half time in the counselor s office. Eventually, I served as full time counselor. We both retired in 1978. But, it did not take long before we realized we needed more income!. Looking in the want-ads one morning, Mr Nielsen noticed an ad asking for couples to teach in Saudi Arabia. We applied, was hired, so off to Saudi Arabia we went for two years, 1979-1981.

           During the summer of our teaching years (1958-1978), we led tours all over the world for the local Teacher s Association. I always tried to include a briefing or interview with an Embassy when possible. After the two year teaching position in Saudi Arabia, Mr. Nielsen returned to his supervisory position with Fluor Corporation and he was sent to South Africa for 5 years. Jack worked at the Secunda plant where they were converting coal to gasoline. In South Africa, I finally learned how to relax and to play bridge. After returning to California, we purchased timeshares from an auction in Hot Springs, Ark. and started trading our weeks for weeks in Europe, Canada and the U.S.A. That lasted from about 1989 to 2002 when Ethel decided to have a heart attack while on vacation in Morgantown, W.Va. Now, she struggles with learning the computer as well as learning from a master how to do water color painting! Jack loves to paint and is becoming quite an expert, so our teacher says!

           We have traveled in over 100 countries by trading timeshares and working as tour leaders. I have been a member of HCPD since the early 80's. On my Mother's side (Zona Blanche Davis-1900-1980) I have researched the following families: Dye, Ash, Harbert, Garrard, Bradstreet, Dudley, Corbly, Cumberledge, Davis, Fleming, Gain, Griffin, Kinney, Lantz and Loofbourrow. On my father's side (Joseph Clarence Hammond 1895-1952) I have searched Fittro, Hammond, Wigner, Hardman, Mines, Morrison, Ash, Lambert, Morris, Payne, Swiger.

    Jack and Ethel Nielsen

         Nielsen, Ethel Hammond, of Irvine, CA, passed away March 1, 2013. She was born in Clarksburg, WV to Clarence and Blanch Hammond April 15, 1918. Ethel had a full and rewarding life and she was a loving wife, sister, mother, grandmother and great grandmother. Happily married to her adoring husband, Jack, for 67 years, they enjoyed many careers and traveled the world together. Some of those adventures took them to live in places such as Saudi Arabia and South Africa. She was a teacher and counselor at Bell High School. Ethel was very much ahead of her time; she loved her family, celebrated life, and had a flair keeping up with the latest technology. Ethel is survived by her husband, Jack; her daughter and son in law, Joyce and Jim Moyer; her grandson, Craig and Libby Moyer of Manhattan Beach; granddaughter, Lynne Moyer of New York City; granddaughter, Lisa and Bill Gillott of Lake Forest; also her great-grandsons, Eric and Drew Moyer; and great granddaughter, Madison Joy Gillott. We love you and you are forever in our hearts. Services to be held on Friday, March 8th at Saddleback Chapel, 220 E Main Street, Tustin, CA 714-544-1450. In lieu of flowers, you may like to send a donation to the Deacons Fund: Tustin Presbyterian Church: 225 West Main Street, Tustin, CA 92780.

    Published in Orange County Register

    Return to  Biographies
    Main Page